I would like to share with you this amazing mantra. Émile Coué, in his 1922 book "Self Mastery Through Autosuggestion," describes how people were using this mantra to heal various and diverse medical conditions. According to Coué, the brain has unparalleled power to direct the body. For example, have you ever felt sick to your stomach when encountering a heinous injustice? Or, when you watch someone eating something absolutely disgusting on TV, how do you feel? Have you experienced a signature pain in your heart area when thinking of a lost loved one? Consider the many who have fallen off cliffs merely by looking down. This illustrates the incredible power of your brain.
Sadly, we often fail to harness its full potential. If we did, we could free ourselves from many addictions and enslaving habits, succeeding in all aspects of our lives. The key is to install the right software program in your brain, and mantras are a powerful way to do this. The best times are just before going to bed and upon waking up. At these times, the brain is more suggestible and easily enters the alpha and theta brainwave states, indicating increased receptivity to hypnosis and the subconscious.
Émile Coué was a French psychologist and pharmacist renowned for his therapeutic method based on autosuggestion and positive affirmations. Here's an overview of the "Coué Method," also known as "Couéism":
He advised his patients to repeat the mantra "Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better" 20 times, twice a day. You should mechanically repeat it while in a relaxed posture in bed, with straight feet, arms stretched by your side, eyes closed in a quiet, dark room. You can use a string with 20 knots to help you count. By the time you reach 10 repetitions of the mantra, you should feel yourself entering a deeper, more relaxed state of mind.
1. Understanding Autosuggestion: Coué believed in the power of the subconscious mind. He taught that by repeatedly suggesting positive thoughts and beliefs to your subconscious, you could influence your behavior and improve various aspects of your life.
2. Repetition of Affirmations: The core of Coué's method involves repeating positive affirmations to yourself. He famously advocated the phrase, "Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better." This mantra should be repeated daily, ideally in the morning and before sleep.
3. Belief and Visualization: While repeating the affirmations, it's crucial to genuinely believe in the words you are saying. Visualize yourself achieving the positive outcomes you desire.
4. Consistency: Consistency is key in the Coué Method. Repetition of affirmations should be a daily practice. The more you repeat them, the more deeply they become embedded in your subconscious.
5. Personalization: You can adapt the affirmations to your specific goals. For instance, if you want to improve your confidence, you can say, "Every day, in every way, my confidence is growing."
6. Combining with Action: Coué believed that affirmations should be complemented by actions. If you're aiming for self-improvement, take practical steps in line with your affirmations. Your actions should align with your positive thoughts and beliefs.
7. Avoiding Negative Thoughts: Coué also advised against dwelling on negative thoughts, as these could counteract the positive suggestions you're giving yourself.
The Coué Method is about harnessing the power of your own mind to promote self-improvement and well-being. It's a simple yet effective way to instill a positive mindset and work towards your goals.
By Dr Purity Carr
GP and Menopause Specialist